WHO WE ARE
We provide essential services for you
Established in 1936, Catra is the oldest and largest representative association in South Africa, not only serving the hospitality industry, but all other industries nationally.
It is a registered employer’s association that represents, protects and promotes the interests of employers and their employees, as well as consumers.
Providing services and benefits to its members, it also strives to foster harmonious relationships between members and their employees through the process of conciliation and dialogue.
Although not confined to the hospitality industry, Catra is the only body representing employers at the Bargaining Council for the Restaurant, Catering and Allied Trades.
The purpose of the Bargaining Council, which is established by the unions and employers, is to set terms and conditions of employment, and then to implement them. Catra plays a major role in these negotiations.
The results of these negotiations become a collective agreement that, once published in the Government Gazette by the Minister of Labour, must be complied with by all employers and employees within the jurisdiction of the Bargaining Council.
Catra also provides a wide range of services to all its members, like representation at the CCMA and other industry’s bargaining councils. It also assists in the drafting of policies and procedures, as well as chairing of disciplinary enquiries.
After more than 70 years, it continues to play a role in making recommendations on the various acts promulgated by government.
Not only does Catra make representations on behalf of its members, it will continue to have discussions with the Department of Labour to achieve a more balanced and equitable Labour Relations Act to improve employer/employee relationships.
In its capacity as one of the oldest and largest representative associations in South Africa, Catra makes representations on behalf of its members, bringing with it centuries of expertise and knowledge.
Catra is a registered employer’s association that cares for its members.
- Your interests and representation are duly provided for at the negotiating forum;
- The particular needs of your business are represented and provided for at the negotiating forum;
- You are given guidelines with regard to disciplinary hearings, counseling sessions and consultations in the case of retrenchments or the restructuring of your operation.
- Training sessions – like workshops that deal with the different acts and the improvement of customer services.
- You will have access to a team of experts to assist with:
- labour disputes:
- disciplinary hearings;
- representation at the various bodies;
- training of employers and employees:
- human resources’ operational manuals;
- human resources’ policies and procedures; and
- policies on disciplinary enquiries.
Catra’s role in South Africa’s ever changing political, social and economical scenario is becoming a crucial one. It has therefore embarked on an aggressive campaign of representation to all levels of government.
- We will make sure that our organisation maintains a high profile, not only with our members but also with the public.
- We are poised to rise up to take a leading role in ensuring that our members and their employees are fully represented.
- We will protect, expand and improve the interests of our members.
- We will provide guidance and information to our members, not only regarding labour disputes, but also in general.
- We will provide members with the latest industry information as well as additional services – such as it’s recruitment section.
- We will continue to provide services to consumers, like the restaurant guide to assist visitors in finding specific cuisines.
Catra is also party to the Statutory Council for the Fast Food, Restaurant, Catering and Allied Trades.
Tel: 011 672 3440
Fax: 011 672 7623